[GET] No public allowed: Assembly to meet on purchase of four buildings for vagrants – Demo

MAYOR BANS IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE BY TAXPAYERS

The Anchorage Assembly will meet today (Monday) at 6 pm at the Loussac Library’s Assembly Chambers to continue the discussion of the use of federal CARES Act funds for the mayor’s plan to purchase four buildings in Anchorage and convert them into a massive network of services for vagrants.

A group known as “Save Anchorage” plans to be at the Loussac Library at 5 pm to greet the Assembly members as they arrive.

But the public will not be allowed inside the building to witness the proceedings because Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz has banned public presence at Assembly meetings.

Watch the meeting through a link at: http://www.muni.org/Residents/Pages/MuniMeetings.aspx The meeting also will be live on Channel 9.

The Assembly will be taking up the following ordinances:

Ordinance No. AO 2020-66, an ordinance authorizing the acquisition by purchase, or lease with option to purchase, of real property legally described as: Lot 7A Block C Heather Meadows Subdivision (Plat 77-149) (PID 009-161-51), Lots 1 – 6 Block C Rosebud Subdivision (Plat P-224A), (PID 009-161-32, 009-161-33, 009-161-34, 009-161-35, 009-161-36, 009-161-37), Block 4A Central City Subdivision (Plat 76-245) (PID 003-241-29), the improvements on Lot 1 Block 33C USS 408 (Plat 84-374) (PID 003-073-33), and Tract C Green Valley Resubdivision No. 1 (Plat 73-210) (PID 010-193-22) (Properties) with aggregate acquisition and renovation costs not to exceed $22,500,000, Real Estate Department, Assembly Chair Rivera, and Assembly Members Zaletel and Constant.

Ordinance No. AO 2020-66(S), a an ordinance authorizing the acquisition by purchase, or lease with option to purchase, of real property legally described as: Lot 7a Block C Heather Meadows Subdivision (Plat 77-149) (PID 009-161-51), Lots 1 – 6 Block C Rosebud Subdivision (Plat P-224A), (PID 009-161-32, 009-161-33, 009-161-34, 009-161-35, 009-161-36, 009-161-37), Block 4a Central City Subdivision (Plat 76-245) (PID 003-241-29), the improvements on Lot 1 Block 33C USS 408 (Plat 84-374) (PID 003-073-33), and Tract C Green Valley Resubdivision No. 1 (Plat 73-210) (PID 010-193-22) (properties) with aggregate acquisition and renovation costs Not To Exceed $22,500,000., Real Estate Department, Assembly Chair Rivera, and Assembly Members Zaletel and Constant.

Ordinance No. AO 2020-66(S-1), a an ordinance authorizing the acquisition by purchase, or lease with option to purchase, of real property legally described as: Lot 7a Block C Heather Meadows Subdivision (Plat 77-149) (PID 009-161-51), Lots 1 – 6 Block C Rosebud Subdivision (Plat P-224A), (PID 009-161-32, 009-161-33, 009-161-34, 009-161-35, 009-161-36, 009-161-37), Block 4a Central City Subdivision (Plat 76-245) (PID 003-241-29), the improvements on Lot 1 Block 33C USS 408 (Plat 84-374) (PID 003-073-33), and Tract C Green Valley Resubdivision No. 1 (Plat 73-210) (PID 010-193-22) (properties) with aggregate acquisition and renovation costs Not To Exceed $22,500,000, Real Estate Department, Assembly Members Zaletel, Constant, and Kennedy.
(PUBLIC HEARING WAS CLOSED 7-22-2020.  ACTION WAS POSTPONED FROM 7-22-2020.)

Assembly Chair Felix Rivera wrote to Anchorage residents saying he is likely to support the proposal, although the matter may be postponed until Aug. 11. He has questions for the Berkowitz Administration that he wants answered. The questions he provided are:

  • What are the costs of renovations? Does $2-3M seem low? Is the timeline including renovations doable?   
  • What are the expected operating costs and how will we pay for them?   
  • How did you narrow down from the many other potential buildings mentioned?    
  • How many spaces are currently available in existing facilities and what is the current/expected in the fall/winter need?   
  • How does this proposed ordinance fit into the Treasury guidelines for usage of the CARES Act funds?    
  • When will these facilities be up and running?    
  • How will you ensure safe transportation to and from facilities? How much back and forth would there be?   
  • How will you ensure that any possible negative impacts to neighborhoods or businesses are mitigated?    
  • How can we incorporate community feedback during the RFP process?    

“If the administration is unable to address these points to my satisfaction, I will likely support an effort to postpone this item to the meeting of August 11 to allow more time to flesh out this proposal,” Rivera wrote.

“All of this said, I will likely support the proposal, whether on Monday or August 11. As I stated before, the need is undeniable and the opportunity to make live-saving changes to how we handle homelessness within the Municipality isn’t one we can pass up. It should also be noted that this proposal, if carried out correctly, will have tremendous positive impacts on public safety, which is a primary concern I heard from many,” Rivera continued.

[GET] No public allowed: Assembly to meet on purchase of four buildings for vagrants – Demo
4.9 (98%) 32 votes